Friday, February 29, 2008

Ist Posting

I feel a little pretentious calling my garage a workshop BUT that's what it is for me so I'm going to run with it! And with a little bit of help from the site supervisor, that's what it will be one day. OK, a lot of help from the site supervisor. My talents do not run to hammer and nails, my building skills are hard earned.

Truthfully I'm craft person, I like lots of different crafts, but at the moment I'm concentrating on hand spinning & weaving and crochet which is what this blog will focus on. There might be a bit of knitting thrown in now again as well.

The garage is where I do most of my weaving and where I have all my bits and pieces. The fleeces, top, dyes, commercial wool, the looms and the spinning wheels. I have fought long and hard for a place to work in and so I'm putting it to full use now I've got it. I have two Ashford spinning wheels, the traditional and the traveller. I also have the Ashford 20 inch knitting loom, which is a rigid heddle loom designed to use with all of the fancy new knitting yarns. I have two other looms, a Sheridan 4 shaft table loom and a big old countersink floor loom with four shafts and six peddles which I am slowly, veeerry sllllooowly restoring.

I'm still a beginning spinner, even though I first started spinning 10 years ago. I haven't had an accessible space to work in for a long time, but now I do so I've gone on a fibre binge! I'll be posting about all my adventures in the next few posts as I get more comfortable with the blogging process. I intend to use this blog as a fibre diary and a place to reflect on the processes involved in what I produce so we'll see how it goes.

No comments: